The st. Mark's story
In 1891 a small group of Episcopalians of East Hamburg, New York (now Orchard Park) formed a mission church and called it St. Mark's. A year later, they purchased a lot at the northeast end of Potter Avenue for $175 where they planned to build their church. A cornerstone was laid for a frame building with a wooden tower and one year later, on Easter Sunday, the first service was conducted.
There were many changes to the little church over the next 30 years - 1900, a guild hall and kitchen were added. In 1914 the parish raised funds for a new bell which rang first on Easter Sunday. Then in 1924, a lot was purchased at the southwest corner of Potter Avenue. After much controversy, the church was moved to its current location in 1925 and given a red brick veneer.
The congregation began to grow and following World War II, advanced from mission status to a full-fledged parish. The little church had grown from 58 to 132 families, fueled by the housing growth in the community. Now needing more space, an enlargement was completed incorporating a new vestibule, side aisle, chancel and sanctuary, increasing seating capacity from 107 to 254 persons. Downstairs, a kitchen and side rooms were added. Five years later, a new rectory was built across the street and a parking lot was added. Red carpeting was laid and stained glass window, each a memorial, were added to the sanctuary.
In 1966, again more space was needed. The new addition housed the Sunday School, meeting rooms, a Rector's study and Vestry Room. In 1973, an organ, especially designed for St. Mark's was installed.
Today, St. Mark's is a community of believers who share a deep faith in God: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. We worship joyfully, celebrating His presence in our church and in our lives. We teach His word as found in the Holy Scripture. We share our faith with the world we live in through a variety of ministries.